The Five Minute Box was designed within school settings to fulfill several purposes:
- To provide an easy to manage teaching system for any child who needed extra time to learn or to consolidate basic skills, managed by a Teaching Assistant for a few minutes a day.
- To ensure that any child who may turn out to be dyslexic has had multi-sensory teaching since starting school rather than waiting to be diagnosed later and then having to start from the beginning again.
- To work alongside any phonic reading and spelling scheme already in place in school
- Most importantly, it is a system that children engage in with the utmost enthusiasm, taking ownership of their learning and progressing from the very first time they open the Box.
Box 2 provides:
- a follow on to Five Minute Literacy Box when all skills are confident.
- a second start programme to reading and writing second stage phonics, next level keywords, generalised spelling patterns and dictionary skills
- an ideal programme for children learning English as an Additional Language
- takes children to the next level of reading and helps establish confident writing